Banana Muffin / Banana Cake

Just the other day, there was a small discussion on the issue of originality and crediting the source on the baking group I am in. I have to say there are quite a few intriguing perspectives; I couldn't help but kept thinking in retrospect and here's my after thoughts.

The question of "originality" is an age old problem. It exists across different paradigms and is simply inevitable.  Defining the term "original" has shown to be problematic as it is subjective and just means different things to different individuals. To some one, he/she might only call the first creator to be the "original" whereas others might simply emboss their names on the first creation after improvisation. Since after "modification", it is different from the original and hence, different. Anyhow, after thousands and thousands of years of human history, who's to say what's "original" anymore? lol

Regardless the case (or definition), we should make it a good habit of crediting the source, no matter the paradigm! It's just like doing citation when writing a thesis, and if you paraphrase, you will end up plagiarising. Haha..

I have to admit that when I first tried baking 5 years ago, I did not care much for the source. Then again, I was not managing a food blog so obviously I did not jot down the source. There are a few recipes which I used and modified over time, adjusting, adding and substituting ingredients as I acquire new baking knowledge, so much so that it lost the original's essence. Since they are heaven and earth apart, I can quite certainly claim the highly-modified one to be mine, but without the recipe which I copied years back, will I be able to come up with the current one? 

While on this topic, I would like to state that all recipes here (except for the first which I did mention that I pieced from all over the internet), unless otherwise stated and properly credited, are "original" creations in the sense that I did not took them off any sources. Some of them belongs to the seniors in my family and some just came along with experience (especially the cooking recipes). There are, of course, some recipes which I anyhow threw together like a science experiment, trialled and error till I'm satisfied so any resemblance is really coincidental. *cough*madeleine*cough* LOL!

Let me finish this post with a recipe I ripped out somewhere during my first few bakes yonder ago. It is a super moist and fluffy basic banana muffin recipe which I've tuned to my family's (and my) liking over the years. If you would like to try the recipe and credit the source, you may credit it to "somewhere ripped off in the digitized world of cyberspace ". Ahahaha..  =D
Basic Banana Muffins / Cakes (makes 12-15 depending on liners)
(This is a highly-modified version, original source lost and consumed by the sea of data)
 190g     Cake Flour
  2.5g     Baking Soda  
   10g     Baking Powder
  1.5g     Salt    
  1.5g     Ground Cinnamon
   75g     White Sugar  
   75g     Brown Sugar
 120g     Butter, unsalted  
    3        Large Bananas, cut into smaller pieces (about 1 cup)
 100g     Milk  
    1        Large Egg    
     4g     Vanilla Extract

Optional:
 - Walnuts / Almonds
 - Chocolate Chips (dark, white, milk)
 - Peanut Butter
 - Cherries / Raspberries / Cranberries

Actually almost anything you want and however much you want. This recipe comes with a disclaimer though.  I utilize the Creaming method instead of Muffin method. >.< *ieks*

I know, I know.... muffins, hence muffin method, yet this is a cake! But hey, Mum wants a softer "muffin", I'm just trying to be a filial daughter. =P

Anyhow, can always use this recipe with the muffin method but remember to crank the temperature up to 200ºC instead, bake about 20-25 mins till cake tester comes out clean too.
Preheat oven to 175ºC

1. Sift Cake Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, Salt and Ground Cinnamon together and whisk to combine. Add in dry additions like Chocolate Chips (if any) and toss with flour.

2. Dissolve the Instant Coffee Granules into the Milk, stir in the Vanilla Extract. Whisk till homogeneous and reserve.

3. Using the paddle attachment, beat butter till creamy. Add both sugars and cream till light and fluffy, about 5-8 mins in a stand mixer. 

4. Add in the Egg and wait till fully incorporated before adding the Bananas. Stop when bananas has "disintegrated". Heeheee..

5. Add in Flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the Milk mixture, waiting for each to be well incorporated. Ie. Flour -> Milk -> Flour -> Milk -> Flour. Mix briefly on medium speed till a smooth batter is formed. 

6. Spoon into desired liners/cases, filling 3/4 to the brim. Bake for 20-25 mins till cake tester comes out clean. Leave them on the baking tray for a few minutes before cooling completely on wired rack.










All blog posts and photos are properties of WhatToBakeToday (unless otherwise stated). Unauthorized use and/or duplication of these contents, whole or part thereof, without express or written permission from this blog's author is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to WhatToBakeToday with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. 

2 comments :

  1. These look absolutely yummy! Thanks for posting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim! Hope you'll enjoy the recipe as much as I did! =D

    ReplyDelete

Eating to Live. Living to Eat!