Green Witch Fingers (Halloween)

WARNING: This post contains visuals that may be frightening to young children. View at your own discretion.

You know what irks me recently? I have been to a number of blogs these days and they don't credit the source of recipe. I'm sorry but somehow, that irritated the hell outta me. I don't know why, maybe because I know how fist-clenching, teeth-grinding, hair-tearing it is to make a modified recipe work, let alone build one from scratch. To me, it is just basic courtesy but oh well, there will always be irritating people around. I know that was totally unrelated, just needed to get it off my chest! Maybe these people are green-eyed (or skin, rather) monsters, like these Halloween cookies I'm gonna share! However, I aspire for them to resemble the digits of a certain famous Witch.
You may use any cookie recipe you like, but I'm going to use a Matcha Sablés recipe.
Green Witch's Fingers
A batch of desired cookie dough (Again, I chose Matcha)
A handful of blanched whole Almonds
Red food colouring
Cake Tester or Toothpick

1. Depending how thin or fat you want your fingers to be, weigh out 20g - 30g of dough to work on. 

2. Roll the dough gently between your palms to get a rough oblong shape. Placed it on a lined baking sheet and mould into your desired finger shape.
3. When satisfied, gently press a blanched almond into 1 end of your "finger", the pointed side of almond facing outwards to mimic a fingernail. 
4. Use a cake tester or skewer to press out 3 lines on each "knuckles". To add to the gruesome effect, dip a toothpick into red food colouring and go through the wider side of the almond.
5. Bake the "fingers" according to recipe.

While shaping the fingers, take note that some cookie recipes will expand and spread slightly during baking. So you might have to make them smaller and thinner than how you actually want them to be. But if they do turn out bigger what you wanted, just name them "Fat Ogre's Fingers" instead. A little browning is ok as it makes the fingers look more authentic, however take care not to brown them too much else they will lose their icky yucky green colour.
To the many friends and family who were totally gross out by my "fingers", I'm really sorry!! >.< It's all in the good fun of the holiday season. No fun if it doesn't strike fear in you for Halloween!










All blog posts and photos are properties of WhatToBakeToday (unless otherwise stated). Unauthorized use and/or duplication of these contents, whole or part thereof, without express or written permission from this blog's author is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to WhatToBakeToday with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. 

2 comments :

  1. Adel, those are simply amazing looking matcha sables ogre fingers! I bet it tasted delish too! :)

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine, thank u!! They did creep out a few friends and my family. Hahaha.. But they agree that they are delicious (if they managed to get pass the visual). LOL!! Try making some for Halloween. ^_^

      Delete

Eating to Live. Living to Eat!