Egg Nog

Being as adventurous in food as I am, I haven't had the chance to taste eggnog until Christmas dinner, 2 years ago at one of our iconic hotels, yet it wasn't an exceptionally pleasant one. When I put the glass to my lips, even before tasting, the server warned me that "this contains raw eggs". Err... Thanks? I didn't know that so I hesitated a little. Hahaha.. I remembered they were very generous with their alcohol; I thought eggnog is a sweet concoction so I didn't expect the alcohol to assault my nostrils the way wasabi does, as it vaporizes. My first impression of eggnog is a super sweet and creamy drink, heavily spiced with a "healthy" boost of alcohol. I was guessing perhaps it was so to mask the egginess of raw eggs, but it was not something I would like to try again and I left with a bad taste in my mouth, literally.
Not until a few days ago, that is. LOL! I was brainstorming for Christmas bakes ideas good enough for " Aspiring Bakers #26 – Creative Christmas Motif Bakes! hosted by Alan of Travellingfoodies" which Alan warmly invited me to join and of course, eggnog was on the list. Meh... I should give it another chance. Using Alton Brown's recipe, I realized it's not such a bad drink afterall! I made some slight modifications the following time, just so it suits our preference and it's even better!

Since it was a test batch, I halved the recipe. Oh, if you don't have bourbon, these alcohol might do the trick too. Give it a try, experiment! =)
Egg Nog (makes 4 small servings)
Mixture A
      2       Eggs
      2       Egg yolks
    50g     Sugar

Mixture B
  488g     Milk
  238g     Heavy Cream
    20g     Honey
      1g     Ground Nutmeg

Optional
    60g     Bourbon
      2       Egg Whites + 5g  Sugar

1. Using a whisk attachment, whisk (A) at maximum speed till colour lightens and is light and fluffy.

2. In a saucepan, over high heat, bring mixture (B) just to a boil while stirring occasionally.

3. Remove from heat and gradually temper the hot (B) into (A). I.e. continue whisking (A) while adding (B) in a slow steady stream. Add too fast and there will be curdled eggs. XD

4. Return everything to pot and cook until mixture reaches 70º C. Remove from heat, stir in the bourbon (if using) and chill in refrigerator.

5. (If using), whisk egg whites till stiff peaks before whisking into the chilled mixture. Serve immediately.
Some people still can't quite get pass the idea of eating raw eggs, so I think it's best to leave the option open, whether to add the egg whites or not. A great party idea would be to chill them in little jars like above and let your guests decide if they want the egg white. Or alternatively, use some whipped cream in its place or even a scoop of vanilla ice cream! That will really kick it up a notch! Or if feeling more adventurous, add a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon before serving, they go really well with the floral after taste of the honey!










All blog posts and photos are properties of WhatToBakeToday (unless otherwise stated). Unauthorized use and/or duplication of these contents, whole or part thereof, without express or written permission from this blog's author is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to WhatToBakeToday with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Eating to Live. Living to Eat!