Classic Waffle (Basic)

When walking past a bakery that sells waffles, I find it hard not to buy one. Especially when it's still cooking, the aroma of freshly made waffles is simply too alluring for me to resist! It sounds weird but it smells of warmth and cosiness, perhaps it's due to the Maillard reaction, much like the smell of freshly baked bread. To kick it up a notch, there is an array of fillings to choose from. I used to like having Kaya (asian coconut custard) between my waffles, but now I just opt for kosong (empty) so I can enjoy waffles as they are (...and also to watch my weight).

Since we made the move, waffle-selling bakeries are no longer a common sight, so the only way to feed my cravings is to make it myself.
Technically speaking, waffle batter is the same as pancake batter! Just a handful of ingredients, a couple of tries and we got the taste and texture we like. Hmm.. But the credit goes to the machine, it did most of the work! Hahha..

Classic Waffles (serves 2)

Mixture A
  150g     Milk, whole fat
    45g     Oil
      1       Egg

Mixture B
  100g     Plain Flour
      1g     Baking Powder
    30g     Sugar
   pinch of salt
1. Mix (A) until homogeneous. Sift (B).

2. Pour (A) into (B), combine till mixture is smooth and lump-free. Set aside for at least 10 mins, and heat up your machine while waiting.

4. Pour batter into machine and cook according to the manufacturer's instruction.
Thoughts: The waffle is crispy on the outside, spongy on the inside, exactly the way we like it. Sugar is probably the only thing you have to adjust if you had always prefer a sweeter waffle. Most days, I like to have maple syrup on the side, so I can have it sweeter if I want to. Otherwise, this sweetness is just nice.
This waffle is delicious on its own, but it tastes even better with savoury dishes! Ok, maybe that's a personal choice. If you don't already know I'm a fan of sweet and savoury combinations! I love eating it with scrambled eggs, cheeses or using it as bread for sandwich. I even eat them like soldiers, dipping and swirling them in my soft boiled eggs. Mmm mm... Can't tell you how good it is, coated with creamy goodness from the yolk. You'll have to try it for yourself.










All blog posts and photos are properties of WhatToBakeToday (unless otherwise stated). Unauthorized use and/or duplication of these contents, whole or part thereof, without express or written permission from this blog's author is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to WhatToBakeToday with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. 

2 comments :

  1. this is a good waffle, classic waffle is a good option for healthy food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too, as long as there isn't too much sugar or butter involved. Though I can go crazy with the condiments that goes with it! lol

      Delete

Eating to Live. Living to Eat!